Helping you find government information and services

Travel and passports

If you are an Australian citizen and you are travelling overseas, you will need a passport. If your query relates to Australian passports you may need advice from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's Passports website. The website address is:

Frequently requested passport information

Dual Citizens

Dual citizens needing passports must acquire separate passports for the individual countries of which they are citizens.

For people seeking a 'European Passport' - this term is a misnomer. Passports are issued by the Member States of the European Union themselves but there is a common format for their passports. Ordinary EU member state passports are burgundy-red, with the words 'European Union' written in the national language or languages.

To acquire a passport from another country contact the nearest embassy or consulate of the country or the relevant passport authority for that country.

Frequently requested information for Australians travelling overseas

For any other queries

For any other queries relating to passports, please contact the Australian Passport Information Service directly through their website.

For any other queries relating to travelling overseas, please contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade directly through their website.