Helping you find government information and services

Police checks (criminal history records checks)

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) provides National Police Checks (criminal history checks) for:
  • residents of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Jervis Bay Territory and other external Commonwealth territories
  • people seeking employment with the Australian Government
  • people requiring a check under Commonwealth legislation, e.g. Australian Securities and Investments Commission
  • Australian immigration purposes
  • where the applicant resides overseas
  • overseas employment
  • adoption, including overseas adoption
  • visa applications for overseas travel

All other applicants should contact the Criminal Records section of their relevant state or territory police service. If you are unsure whether you should apply to the AFP or your state service, contact AFP Criminal Records.

Select your state or territory for further information: