• Share on facebook
  • Share on twitter
  • Share on LinkedIn
  • Share on Google+

Superannuation - departing Australia

Service Description

If you are a former temporary resident, you can claim the super benefits you accumulated while working in Australia. To claim the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) you must have visited on an eligible temporary resident visa (which has expired or been cancelled), and permanently departed Australia.

You can apply online, at no cost, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Applications take approximately 30 minutes to complete.

In most cases, payments will be subject to a withholding tax.

If you have not departed Australia or your visa is active, you can still record your details in the system and save your application(s). You may re-enter the system to update and submit your application(s) once you have permanently departed Australia.

If you have departed Australia but your visa is still active, you may request the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to cancel your visa.

If you require further assistance, contact Australian Taxation Office:

  • if you have left Australia, phone +61 2 6216 1111 between 8.00am and 5.00pm AEST, Monday to Friday and ask to be put through to the superannuation area.
  • if you are still in Australia, phone ATO on 131 020 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday, to speak to a tax officer.
  • email ATO at
  • write to ATO at:
    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 3100
    Penrith NSW 2740

If you do not speak English well go to translating and teletype services or, if you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment go to hearing or speech impairment.

What is needed to use this service?

To help the ATO confirm your identity, eligibility and process your application, you will need to provide the following information:

  • your name, date of birth and other personal details
  • your e-mail address
  • your passport number
  • your Australian Tax File Number (optional)
  • your superannuation account details - including your superannuation provider's Australian Business Number (ABN). You can use ABN Lookup to search for the ABN of your superannuation provider.

Choose the Click to access button below to start your online claim.

How do I access this service?

Supporting Information

Back to top