• Share on facebook
  • Share on twitter
  • Share on LinkedIn
  • Share on Google+


If you live overseas and you’d like the opportunity to live and work in Australia, the first step is to find out more about the visa options that are available to you.


Allows skilled workers and business people interested in migrating to Australia to record their details so they can be considered for a skilled visa through an Expression of Interest (EOI).  SkillSelect Support provides all the information you need to get started in SkillSelect, and has step-by-step user guides and frequently asked questions.

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Visa Finder

Helps you find the Australian visa most likely to meet your specific circumstances. It includes the most common Australian visas, but does not include every visa.

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Work in Australia – visas and immigration

Provides information on a range of temporary and permanent skilled visas for workers who want to either work temporarily or migrate to Australia.

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Assessment subsidy for overseas-trained professionals

Help for skilled overseas trained professionals with the cost of assessments and exams needed to be passed in order to practise in Australia.

Department of Human Services

Australian citizenship – Becoming an Australian citizen

Provides information about applying, who is eligible, learning about citizenship and celebrating Australian citizenship.

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Australian Skills Recognition Information

Designed to assist skilled workers migrating to or temporarily working in Australia. ASRI helps you find out how to get a skills assessment for your nominated occupation including educational qualifications, skills or experience that you have gained overseas.

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Buying a home in Australia - a guide for new arrivals (PDF 813KB)

A brief outline of Australia's foreign investment policy in relation to residential real estate.

Foreign Investment Review Board

Family members

Provides information on migration options for fiancés, partners, children, parents and other family members of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens.

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Life in Australia – multicultural language booklets

Booklets on life in Australia are available in the following languages: Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Bosnian, Burmese, Chinese, Croatian, Dari, Dinka, Filipino, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Indonesian/Bahasa, Italian, Karen, Khmer, Kirundi, Korean, Macedonian, Nepali,Persian/Farsi, Portuguese,Russian, Serbian, Sinhalese, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Tigrinya, Turkish and Vietnamese.

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Migration agents

You do not need to use a migration agent to lodge any kind of visa application or asylum claim. However, if you do not feel confident in lodging an application, or if your case is complex, you may want to use a migration agent to help you.

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Onshore protection

Offers migration information for asylum seekers who have entered Australia, either without a visa or as temporary entrants.

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Overseas driver licences

Provides information for drivers wishing to exchange their overseas licence for an Australian driving licence.


Permanent migrants or temporary visitors tax file number application

If you have a visa that allows work rights, a visa that allows permanent migration, or a valid visa to stay in Australia indefinitely you can apply for a tax file number (TFN) online.

Australian Taxation Office

Refugee and humanitarian

Provides information about the refugee and humanitarian program for people outside Australia.

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Settle in Australia

Information to assist migrants and refugees and humanitarian entrants settling into Australia. Includes places you can contact for help with settlement and practical information for your life in Australia including health, housing, transport and work.

Department of Social Services

Skills Australia Needs events

Offers information on the Skills Australia Needs events. Includes links to information on upcoming events.

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)

Visa holders who do not have a label in their passport can confirm their current visa details online. Organisations can use VEVO to check the visa status of visa holders applying for work, study, licenses and access to government services.

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Visa holders and migrants – know your workplace rights

Find out what visa holders and migrants need to know before they start working in Australia.

Fair Work Ombudsman

Your rights and obligations – Immigration facts for workers

Provides an information booklet to assist workers from overseas to know their rights and help reduce the incidence of exploitation.
Booklets are available in several languages.

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Back to top