Helping you find government information and services

Other common queries

When are the public holidays in Australia?

Public holidays in Australia are designated on a state and territory basis with the exception of national public holidays such as Australia Day, ANZAC Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day.

I received an email about an Australian lottery prize.

Unexpected prize and lottery scams work by asking you to give personal details or pay some sort of fee in order to claim your prize or winnings from a competition or lottery you never entered. Scamwatch provides information about how to recognise, avoid and report scams.

Can I drive in Australia on an overseas licence?

Laws and driving regulations differ from state to state for overseas drivers. The relevant road authorities in each state and territory provide information about driving with an overseas licence while visiting Australia.

How do I obtain a police (criminal history) record check?

Police checks are becoming a standard requirement for people seeking employment in Australia and overseas, overseas visa applications and other purposes. Police record checks are provided by the Australian Federal police and state and territory police.

Can I get my documents certified for an overseas government?

Overseas governments sometimes need proof that Australian documents are genuine before they will accept them. The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade can certify that a signature, stamp or seal on a document is genuine.

I am looking for a missing relative (or friend) in Australia.

The Australian Federal Police provide a list of search agencies – external sites that may be able to help you locate relatives or friends you have lost contact with over time. The National Library of Australia also provides a list of sources for locating a missing friend or relative.

Wills and Powers of Attorney

Having a Will allows you to decide what will happen to your assets when you die and Powers of Attorney allow you to give someone else the legal authority to look after your affairs on your behalf.

State and territory public trustees, public advocates and guardians can provide more specific information about Wills and Powers of Attorney.

Can you send me information about Australia? does not send out tourist information or Australia packs but you can find out more about Australia on our website. For tourist information we suggest you also visit, Australia's official tourism website.

Did you find the information you were looking for?

Yes, I found what I was looking for No, I didn't find what I was looking for

Thank you.

Your feedback helps us improve